1. The June 12, 2018 Council meeting was called to order at 7:40 PM by Grand Knight Rode
2. Warden’s Report on Membership Cards by Dan Cincoski
3. Opening Prayer offered by Grand Knight Rode
4. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
5. Roll Call of Officers
Office Name Pres Office Name Pres
Chaplain Vacant Vac Advocate Tom Silver P
Grand Knight John Rode P Warden Dan Cincoski P
Dep.Grand Eugene Dust A Inside Jose A Knight Guard Rodriguez-Belerrari
Chancellor Tom Murphy P Outside Guard Pat Karn A
Recorder Jim Grube P Trustee 3 Year Dave Stumpf P
Financial Ed Hagerty P Trustee 2 Year Bill Swing P Secretary
Treasurer Mark Mertens P 7:58 Trustee 1 Year Earl Forrence A
Lecturer Marty Dehen A
Present: 9 Absent: 5
6. Non-Officer Council Members in Attendance (10 members present for votes): Bill Swing also attended in his role as District Deputy
7. Knights of Columbus Guests:
8. Opening Ode: The Council dispensed with the opening ode.
9. Chaplain’s Report: None
10. Reading of Minutes of Previous Meeting: The record of the Council finances and actions of the April 10, 2018 General Membership meeting was approved.
11. Report of Admission Committee and Reading of Applications:
12. Balloting for Membership (new, readmission. reapplications, transfers):
13. Initiations: Nathan Lee
14. Grand Knight’s Report:
15. Treasurer’s Report: The Council account balance was $8,851.77 as of June 12, 2018. Motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report was approved.
16. Financial Secretary’s Report: Total Receipts reported for the period: $1,777.19 (2 batches). Total Disbursements reported for the period: $1,710.18 (7 Vouchers – $25.00, $300.00, $200.00, $247.41, $374.00, $63.77 and $500.00). Motion to accept the Financial Secretary’s report was approved.
Motion to pay the Council bills was approved
17. Grand Knight Reading of Treasurer’s Receipts, Financial Secretary Vouchers for Deposit – See Financial Secretary’s Report #16 above.
18. Report of Auditors and Trustees
19. Chancellor’s Report on Vocations – No report
20. Service Program Committee Reports
Program Director: Dave Stumpf – No report
Church Director: Earl Forrence – No report
Vocations: Tom Silver reported that four young men had been ordained in May, including the first American born man of Hmong descent, and a former member of St. Therese Parish in Deephaven, one of the many former seminarians our Council has supported through the RSVP Program. Tom also reported that a Priest from India addressed members of the Serra Club the previous Friday.
Council Service Director: Vacant – No report
Culture of Life Director: Unassigned – No report
Public Relations: Unassigned – No report Communications Subcommittee: Matt Mamura
Family Service Director: Jim Grube – No report
Youth Activity Director: John Rode – No report
Membership: Dan Cincoski – No report
Recruitment: John Rode reported that Nathan Lee had been initiated into the Frist Degree at an exemplification that occurred at Holy Name before the meeting.
Retention: Financial Secretary Hagerty reported that 15 members still have dues outstanding.
Lecturer: Marty Dehen – No report
HNOJ Life Commission – No report
21. Report of the Round Table Chairman – Not applicable
22. Report of Standing Committees – Not applicable
23. Unfinished Business
1 First Degree Exemplification of June 12, 2018 – Nathan Lee was initiated into the First Degree. Bill Swing noted that it would be good if the Council had its own specific degree paraphernalia so we need not borrow it from another Council. Motion to purchase necessary 1st degree items was approved.
2 Holy Family Prayer Program & Icon – The Holy Family Icon is scheduled to reside in the Adoration Chapel at Holy Name from June 12th to June 20th. At this point there is no prayer program developed.
3 District 53 officer installation – The installation of officers is scheduled for June 21, 2018 at Golden Valley. The program will begin with Mass at 6:00 PM, followed by the installation and ending with a dinner. Spouses are welcome.
4 Summer District 53 meeting – The meeting will be held July 12 at 7:00 PM in the Fireside Room at Holy Name.
24. New Business
1 Holy Name rummage sale – The Holy Name rummage sale will occur June 20 to June 23. Help will be needed throughout the event, but especially on June 17 for the item drop-off and subsequent cleanup. Four or five volunteers are needed for the drop-off and for approximately two hours the following Saturday for cleanup.
2 Council Warden – Grand Knight Rode announced that Dan Cincoski was elected to fill the vacant Warden position during the May Council meeting/dinner.
3 Columbian Award – Grand Knight Rode reported all work on the Columbian Award application must be completed so it can be submitted June 30th.
4 Council meeting with Father Steve – Grand Knight Rode reported Bill Swing and he will meet with Father Steve to review the yearly schedule and the 2019 District 53 Officer Installation to be held at Holy Name.
5 RSVP payment – Tom Silver reported he conferred with Father Evans to identify Seminarians for whom the Council could provide $500 support through the RSVP Program. Deacon Louis Floeder, a second cousin to Council Member Joe Floeder who will be ordained in 2019, and Kyle Etzel, a Holy Name member and pre-theology student at the St. Paul Seminary, were identified as worthy recipients. Motion to provide $500 each to Deacon Louis Floeder and Kyle Etzel through the RSVP Program was approved.
6 Council Service Director vacancy – With the recent passing of Ed Ayd, there is now a vacancy in the Council Service Director position. Grand Knight invited Council members who may be interested in serving in the role to contact him.
7 Fall Festival – Dan Cincoski reported that as in past years the Fall Festival will be held in September. Dan indicated he will be purchasing the food the Council will be making available at the festival. Dan also reported that the Parish intends to purchase 600 ears of corn this year, as opposed to the 1,000 purchased in 2017.
8 Activity Chair/Lead – Bill Swing suggested that when scheduling activities for the new year, an activity chair, aka activity lead, be assigned for each scheduled activity. No action was taken on this issue.
9 Hospitality after Mass – Tom Silver reported that there is need to assist with hospitality after the 10:30 Mass on July 22. After discussion it was agreed the Council will help, so Tom will close the loop on the issue. NOTE: Subsequently, Tom learned that the need is actually for July 1, and an email seeking Council help was issued.
10 Ladies Auxiliary hospitality – Tom Silver reported the Ladies Auxiliary will be providing after Mass hospitality for one Mass each month for the summer.
11 Food shelf financial support – Tom Silver reminded the Council that we had not designated the food shelf recipients for the funds recently raised. This item will be taken up at the next Council meeting.
12 Resolution of condolence for Ed Ayd – Bill Swing reported that GK Rode and he presented a resolution of condolence on behalf of our council to Ed Ayd’s wife, Jan, during the visitation.
13 KC Certificate of Excellence – The Council received the certificate for Achievement in Programs & Membership.
14 Free Throw Contest – After discussion the Council will again sponsor a free throw shooting contest again in 2019. While the desire is to hold the contest right after school, we will have to collaborate with Father Steve to find a time that fits the Parish and school calendars.
25. Report of the Fourth Degree – Dan Cincoski reported the next Fourth Degree Exemplification will be in July at St. Vincent Parish in Brooklyn Park.
26. Field Agent’s Report – John Egan is the new District 53 Field Agent. John’s contact information is: email – firstname.lastname@example.org cell phone – 763-234-1477 and address – 8920 100th Avenue North, Maple Grove, MN 55322.
27. District Deputy’s Report – District Deputy Bill Swing had issued a written report earlier. Issues addressed in the report were:
District 53 officer installation – June 21st at Golden Valley
Holy Family Prayer Program and Icon – The Icon will be at Holy Name June 12 – June 20
First Degree Exemplification at Holy Name – The Exemplification will occur June 12 at 6:00 PM
District 53 meeting – The meeting is to be held in the Fireside Room at Holy Name at 7:00 PM July 12.
Columbian Award – Applications are due June 30.
Grand Knight organizational meeting – It is recommended Grand Knights hold an organizational meeting during the summer to discuss growth strategies and programs for the new fraternal year.
On-line membership – Continue to promote on-line membership.
28. Good of the Order:
The family of Ed Ayd on his passing
Christopher “Kip” Walker and wife Susan
Dick and Mary Alice Hargarten
Paul Silver (Tom Silver’s brother)
The Shallbetter family (Carrie (Marty) Dehen) on the passing of Carrie’s mother
John Egan as he begins his new role as the District Field Agent and for John’s family as they await the safe return of their son from deployment in Afghanistan
Davone Yang and family
For those of the St. Paul Seminary as they continue their search for a new Rector for the Seminary
Those suffering from the effects of natural disasters
Those victims and survivors of mass shooting incidents
Those preparing for marriage
Those in troubled marriages
The unborn and pro-life
Prayers of thanks for Pope Francis
All Bishops, Priests and Religious
The unemployed and those seeking work
In thanksgiving for prayers answered
For all Brother Knights and their families in need of our prayers
Candidates for vocations
All 1st responders
29. Closing Prayer: The closing prayers were offered at 8:49 PM.
30. Closing Ode: The Council dispensed with the closing ode.
31. Meeting Adjourned: The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 PM.
Holy Family Prayer Program and Icon – June 12 -June 20
Installation of officers – June 21 at Golden Valley
MAC committee dinner support – June 21
Columbian Award Application Due – June 30
After Mass hospitality – July 1st after 10:30 Mass