TO: District 53 Grand Knights, Deputy Grand Knights, Financial Secretaries, Recorders
FROM: Bill Swing, DD #53
RE: District Deputy Report – May 2018
- The Holy Family Prayer Program and Icon
- Final schedule:
|3758 – Wayzata (St. Mary of the Lake)||May 5 – May 10|
|3758 – Wayzata (St. Anne’s)||May 10 – May 17|
|State Convention (requested by Dir Fillbrandt)||May 18 – May 20|
|3758 – Wayzata (St. Bart’s)||May 21 – May 27|
|9601 – Loretto||May 28 – June 4|
|12293 – Long Lake||June 5 – June 12|
|13096 – Medina||June 13 – June 20|
|13506 – Golden Valley||June 21 – June 28|
I will be contacting Grand Knights periodically to ensure the smooth transfer of the Icon. If not the Grand Knight, provide me the name and contact information of the person I should contact.
Information on the Holy Family Prayer Program can be found at https://mnknights.org/prog ram/holy-family-prayer-program/
- District 1st Degrees
|Date:||5/15/2018||6:15 PM||Loretto 9601|
|Date:||6/12/2018||6:00 PM||Medina 13096|
If you have candidate(s) for either of these degree ceremonies, please contact me ASAP.
- Upcoming District Deputy Visits
- Long Lake Council Meeting, May 3rd, 7:00PM
- Medina Council Meeting & Awards Program, May 10th 7:00PM
- Loretto Council Meeting, May 15th, 7:00PM
- Let me know of any changes to these date/times.
- District 53 Installation of 2018-2019 Officers
The District’s Installation of Officers will be hosted by the Good Shepherd Council on June 21st. A Mass, presided by Father Marquard, will start at 6 pm followed by the installation ceremony. The Good Shepherd Council will be providing a cantor, organist, stand-in District Warden (Mark Foresman), and a luncheon catered by QFanatic BBQ. Each council will be assessed $300 to cover expenses. All knights and their spouses are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- Summer District Meeting
I have tentatively scheduled Thursday July 12th 7PM for our summer district meeting. I would like to see all councils represented with a minimum of two officers from each council. Realize that the State Council encourages us to have quarterly district meetings. With only two meetings during the year, let’s try to make this meeting productive.
If you see a conflict with this date/time, let me know and I will reschedule.
|Father McGivney Award (Membership)|
|Long Lake 12293||63||4||0||0||0||0||0||0||0.00|
|Golden Valley 13506||71||5||0||0||0||3||2||1||20.00|
- Star Tracker (published 4/15/2018)
|Founder’s Award (Insurance)|
|Long Lake 12293||63||3||0||0||0||0||0||0||0.00|
|Golden Valley 13506||71||3||0||0||0||1||0||1||33.33|
|Note: Wayzata submitted their semiannual audit (1295) on 4/22/2018.|
- State Convention (May 18-20, Rochester MN)
- Reminder – per the agenda (handed out at December’s District Meeting), training sessions will be held Friday afternoon starting at 1pm. There will be a special session for Financial Secretaries on FS duties and a general session for all others on a variety of topics including Building the Domestic Church Initiative, recruiting techniques, questions and answers.
- By now your delegates should be registered for the convention. If not, late registration as well as other updates can be found at https://mnknights.org/event/minnesota-knights-columbus-state-convention/
- Application for Columbian Award
- Be sure to have your SP-7 Columbian Award application completed by June 30th. Unfortunately, it appears that no council in our district will be making Star Council this year as all councils are falling short of their membership and insurance quotas. However, I believe most councils can achieve the Columbian award if they simply complete and submit their application. The #SP-7 application is can be found at www.kofc.org/forms
Reminder – councils must have a youth director to qualify for Columbian or Star Council awards and both the grand knight and the youth director must have completed the Safe Environment training. (It is acceptable that the Grand Knight be assigned as the youth director.)
- Election of 2018-2019 Officers and Report of Officers Chosen for the Term (#185)
- Note: Starting with the 2018-2019 fraternal year, the roles of Chaplain and Lecturer have been moved from Form #365 (Service Program Personnel) to Form #185.
- Be sure to email the completed report to me email@example.com and State Deputy Bob Penas firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The election of officers for 2018-2019 must take place between May 1 and June 15. Immediately following, the Financial Secretary should file the “Report of Officers Chosen for the Term” using the “Council Officers – Next Fraternal Year” routine which is located within the “Membership Management” section of Supreme’s web site. He can then use the “Print Center–MM” to download/print it. If you wish, he can also complete and download/print the form located at www.kofc.org/forms.
State / Regional Activities and Announcements
- Metro Area Major Degree
- However – you can take advantage of the 1st degrees being held on May 15 and June 12 (see item #2 under District Activities above).
- The nearest one is: Saturday, June 2nd, St Bridget’s in Lindstrom, 1st degree 8:30 AM; 2nd degree 10:00 AM followed by 3rd degree, Host District Deputy: Bill Maassen 715-483-9758
- No major degrees have been scheduled for the metro area during the months of May and June. (It would be good if our district were to host a major degree next fall.)
- Consider using the Bishop Hebda’s Letter of Invitation https://mnknights.org/the-bishop-wants you/ with the Father Wants You Campaign https://mnknights.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/2017-18-Father-Wants-You-Campaign.pdf. Feel free to modify.
- Online Membership Update
- Please continue to promote online membership, as it will help your council grow. Here are some ways to do that.
- From State Deputy Bob Penas – Online membership is going well in Minnesota. Since February, we’ve had more than 20 gentlemen join this way. It is good news for councils, since many of these gentlemen indicated they would like to join a council. They all meet with a field agent whether they indicate they would like to join a council at this time or not.
- Understand On-line Membership. Go to https://mnknights.org/faq-online-membership/
- Include Online Membership in bulletin announcements.
- Post www.kofc.org/joinus on your council’s social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
Incorporate online membership in your recruitment drives.