FROM: Bill Swing, DD #53
RE: District Deputy Report – April 2018
- Tootsie Roll Orders
- I was taken back a bit when Chairman Ray emailed saying delivery of our order could not be guaranteed for any weekend other than the official Tootsie Roll weekend of April 28-29. However – he has agreed to give me needed boxes from his stash in Andover. I’ll make sure you get your tootsie rolls prior to your scheduled weekend:
|Council||Boxes Ordered||Tootsie Roll Weekend||Contact|
|Golden Valley||2 boxes||April 14-15||Noel Vogen 612 839 6567|
|Medina||4 boxes||April 21-22||Dave Stumpf 763-473-3470|
|Wayzata||13 boxes||April 28-29||Jack Schindler 612-578-6635|
|Loretto||2 boxes||April 28-29||Randy Elson 612-812-6093|
|Long Lake||1 box||April 28-29||Glen Slaughter 612-473-5977|
Let me know of any corrections to this schedule.
- The Holy Family Prayer Program and Icon
- As reported previously, the Holy Family Icon will be in our district during the months of May and June. Here’s a draft schedule (in Council number order):
|# 3758 – Wayzata||May 7 – May 17|
|# 9601 – Loretto||May 18 – May 28|
|# 12293 – Long Lake||May 29 – June 8|
|# 13096 – Medina||June 9 – June 19|
|# 13506 – Golden Valley||June 20 – June 30|
Let me know if your dates need to be changed for some reason.
Information on the Holy Family Prayer Program can be found at https://mnknights.org/prog ram/holy-family-prayer-program/
- District 1st Degrees
|Date:||5/15/2018||6:15 PM||Loretto 9601|
|Date:||6/12/2018||6:00 PM||Medina 13096|
I’ll be sending a confirmation (or cancellation) notice two weeks before scheduled dates.
- Field Agent
As reported previously, John Eagan is our new Field Agent. Hooray! He’s making his rounds, i.e. having already attended Wayzata, Medina, and Loretto council meetings. He plans to attend Long Lake’s meeting on April 5th. Again – if you have any insurance needs, be sure to contact John. Also, please send him the contact information on your new members.
Address: 8920 100th ave N, Maple Grove, MN 55311
- Upcoming District Deputy Visits
- Long Lake Council Meeting, April 5th 7:00PM
- Golden Valley Council Meeting, April 10th 7:00PM
- Please let me know if the day or time of your council meeting changes.
- Installation of Officers for District 53 Council Reminders
- The Good Shepherd Council will host the Mass, installation ceremony and dinner for the Installation of Officers for the 2018-2019 Fraternal Year on Thursday June 21st at the Good Shepherd Church in Golden Valley. Exact start time is to be determined.
- Applications for State Awards
- You still have a couple days to get your application(s) in for State awards. Submissions must be post marked by April 1st. Forms can be found at https://mnknights.org/forms-in-due-date-order/
- Application for Columbian and Star Council Awards
- Also review activities needed for the SP-7 Columbian Award application (or Star Council if membership and insurance quotas are met) due June 30th. At least four programs are required in each of the Service Program categories (Church, Community, Council, Family, Culture of Life and Youth) with four of these programs being designated as Domestic Church activities. A full listing of Domestic Church activities can be found at www.kofc.org/DomesticChurch . The #SP-7 application is available at www.kofc.org/forms
Important note: Per State Programs Director, Joe George, councils must have a youth director to qualify for these awards. Both the grand knight and the youth director must then have completed the Safe Environment training. It is acceptable, however, that the Grand Knight be assigned as the youth director.
- State Convention (May 18-20, Rochester MN)
- Appoint two convention delegates and have your FS complete and email the “Delegate Credentials” form to email@example.com.
- Have delegates register by going to https://mnknights.org/event/minnesota-knights-columbus-state-convention/. The registration deadline is May 1st,
- Have delegates register for their hotel room – options are listed at this same url. The deadline to register for a “K of C State Convention room” is April 17th.
- 2018-2019 Slate of Officer Candidates
- The slate of officer candidates for the upcoming 2018-2019 fraternal year should be proposed during your April council meeting. Voting should then take place during your May meeting.
- Per Capita Assessment
- The January assessment from Supreme is due April 10.
State and Regional Activities
- Metro Area Major Degree
- Thursday, April 26, St Gerald’s, Brooklyn Park, 1st degree 6:00 PM; 2nd degree 7:00 PM followed by 3rd degree, Host District Deputy: Patrick Farrelly, 763-218-3816
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Silver Rose Program (in response to question raised during Loretto’s Council Meeting)
In commemoration of our Lady of Guadalupe, one of eight silver roses being carried across North America will be in Minnesota between April 8th and April 29th. If your council is interested in participating in this program, i.e. receiving the silver rose and conducting a marian prayer service, please contact me or State Silver Rose Chair, Larry Mader,at 320-286-5620 or firstname.lastname@example.org. At this time, these two-day slots are available: April 15 and 16, April 18th and 19th, April 23 and 24. Please respond ASAP if interested. More information on this program can be found at http://www.runningoftherose.org/en/ and https://mnknights.org/program/silver-rose-program/
- World Day of Prayer for Vocations Sunday April 22nd
Consider conducting a vocations awareness event in your parish on Sunday, April 22, 2018 in honor of the World Day of Prayer for Vocations. If not this, simply consider reciting the prayer for vocations during your council meeting if you’re not already doing so. For more information (including a link to the Prayer for Vocations) go to www.kofc.org/vocations
- Founders Day Mass with Archbishop Hebda
- A Founders Day Mass will be celebrated by Archbishop Bernard Hebda on Saturday, April 7th 4:30 pm at St. Bridget’s Parish Community at the St. Austin Church campus, 4050 Upton Avenue North. The Knights’ Choir will be featured. Membership pins / regalia will be blessed by the Archbishop. A spaghetti dinner will follow. Please RSVP (for the dinner) by April 4 at 612-529-7779, or email@example.com.
- Recommended Film: Paul, Apostle of Christ Star Tracker (published 3/15/2018)
- Paul, Apostle of Christ, was just released on March 23. You are encouraged to see this movie which should be showing up in local theatres. The film, dedicated to the persecuted Christians of today, is an opportunity to spread awareness of their plight among your friends, family and community.
|Father McGivney Award (Membership)|
|Long Lake 12293||63||4||0||0||0||0||0||0||0.00|
|Golden Valley 13506||71||5||0||0||0||3||2||1||20.00|
|Founder’s Award (Insurance)|
|Long Lake 12293||63||3||0||0||0||0||0||0||0.00|
|Golden Valley 13506||71||3||0||0||0||1||0||1||33.33|